At Vitangeli Dental, your Englewood OH dentists, we stress proper oral hygiene. That means a daily home regimen that includes brushing and flossing, and coming into our office twice a year for a thorough cleaning and checkup. That way, we’ll catch any problems before they get serious, and keep your smile at its brightest.
With dental health in mind, here are some tooth tips:
- If you have kids and your municipal water supply does not have the recommended level of fluoride, talk to your pediatrician about fluoride supplements. Fluoride strengthens both the teeth you can see, and the ones still forming in the jaw.
- Set a timer when you brush to make sure you spend at least two minutes cleaning all surfaces. Don’t forget your tongue! It provides a cozy home for bacteria to flourish.
- Floss before you brush so that tooth bristles can better reach between teeth.
- If you can’t brush after a meal, chew some sugarless gum with xylitol. Xylitol may curb the growth of bacteria on your teeth to reduce plaque formation.
- Eat carbohydrates with meals instead of alone as snacks. More saliva is generated while eating a meal, and this can lessen the effects of carbs sitting on your teeth.
- An oral fluoride rinse used right before bedtime adds an extra measure of decay deterrence. Fluoride rinses (not traditional mouthwash) work best when swished over teeth for at least thirty seconds after flossing and brushing. After spitting it out, don’t rinse with water. Let the residue protect and strengthen your enamel all night long. This is especially important for kids – just make sure they don’t swallow it.
- Beware of the dental risks of chronic dry mouth (xerostomia). Continual saliva production is essential for keeping the mouth lubricated, washing the food from tooth surfaces, and neutralizing the acid caused by plaque. Decongestants, blood pressure medications, antidepressants, and painkillers are some of the medications that can cause dry mouth.
- Wearing a mouth guard when you participate in sports can prevent tooth injury.
Contact Louis & Dominic Vitangeli DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):