Cracked teeth can be painful, unattractive, and pricey to repair. Today’s post in the Vitangeli Dental dental blog contains an easy-to-follow list of tips to keep your teeth whole and strong.
1. We have to state the obvious don’t chew on hard things. Mind-blowing, right? People should steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, popcorn, and beef jerky. Watch out for stone fruits—that peach may be soft but if you bite hard into the stone, you could damage a tooth.
2. It is vital to protect your teeth while engaging in any physical activity where your mouth can be hit. If you enjoy pick-up basketball games, indoor soccer leagues, rec center flag football, and many other activities, you should be using a well-fitting mouth protector.
3. Don’t use your teeth as a tool. Locate a pair of scissors to open a package or rip the price tag off a new piece of clothing with your teeth. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown can cost hundreds of dollars.
4. Most people know that grinding your teeth is harmful, but did you know that it can lead to a cracked tooth? If you know or suspect that you are a tooth grinder, speak with your dentist so you can address the problem with stress reduction techniques and/or a mouth guard. Chronic head or jaw pain can be caused by teeth grinding.
5. Lastly, make sure that you visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings. Your dentist can alert you to conditions that might predispose you to cracked teeth, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. Your dentist may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of. Take care of these cracks before the whole tooth is in danger.
If you already have a cracked tooth, never fear! Treatment is available for cracks small and large. Veneers, cosmetic dental bonding, inlays/onlays, fillings, and dental implants are all used to repair or replace damaged teeth.
If you break a tooth, call 937-836-3565 or come to our office at 320 Union Blvd in Englewood.
Contact Vitangeli Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):